Thursday, November 1, 2007

"Fig 3," 6x8, oil on canvas board

NFS. I felt like painting figs. I now love painting figs! You have to mix a kind of greenish purple (or purplish green), which shouldn't be possible since they should make brown. Maybe they're next to each other on the canvas, so they're not mixing. I don't know, but it works. I also got the frost edge that you see on fruit like this. It's a matter of not letting your brain fool your eye: Just look at the color; it really is just purple with some white mixed in.

This is a departure for me, at least for recent stuff. I've been doing bird's eye compositions with primary colors that look hot near each other. This is darker, more like the chiaroscuro paintings. Sort of. And it's at eye level. I must buy more figs to paint while they're in season. These got eaten pretty quick.

Tomorrow's painting will be a pretty big contrast.

No comments:

Post a Comment