Tuesday, October 30, 2007

"Two Radishes," 6x8, oil on canvas board


All art lies. That's a much too dramatic statement to make when I'm posting radishes, but there's a reason. These are not radishes; this is just a picture of them. Also, the bowl did not have reflections, nor was it darker on the left than the right But without those effects, the bowl just looked flat. So the painting lies.

Looking at this and recent paintings, it seem to me that I've had a theme. In Oil Painting Secrets from a Master, David Leffel is quoted as saying "You must have a concept before you work out a composition for your paintings..." His concepts are things like how light moves across his still life set up (not stuff like the futility of blah blah in modern whatever). I think my recent concept has been "Look at those cool shadows!" Also, "I want to paint complements I've never painted before."

Gosh this is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment