Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Work from class: Still lifes


Last year I took a still life class from Jim Smyth through the Palo Alto Art Center. Below are three of the better pieces that came out of the class. There were more, and I might post them; not sure. You can tell by looking at them what the challenge in them was. For the second and third, it was about reflections. For the first, I think it was about the fruit and getting its transparency, as well as the shape of the platter under it.

It's satisfying to see that I have some ability to render these (although I could point out flaws in any of them). But I'd like to put that ability into something with more, oh, passion or gut. Jim teaches some figure classes. Hmm.


Chinese Vase, 12x16", oil on canvas board  


Brass Cup12x16", oil on canvas board


Red Vase12x16", oil on canvas board


No comments:

Post a Comment